Sarah's Reviews > Summer Sisters

F 50x66
Aug 08, 09

bookshelves: chick-lit, fiction, 2009
Read in August, 2009

It's been awhile since I've been as much into a chick lit book as I was this one. This book is written over 15 years about the relationship between two girls who are the closest of friends every summer. At the start, I was very reflective on my own relationships with other women. But, once I got into the story there is little relating.

The negatives:
1.) The sexual experiences in the first half of the book. They were wierd and shocking, taking away from my interest. I think they were developed to show the depth of the girls relationship. But, there must have been a better way.
2.) The ending. Things just get wierd.
3.) Would have liked more detail or perpective about the loss of sanity in one of the girls. I think it would have really added to the emotion.

The Positives:
1.) The writing style. It was written mostly from the perspective of one of the sisters, which little snap shots of what other characters in the story were thinking. I think it could have been used more in the end for the other sister.
2.) A nice story about friendship (well, for most of the book.
3.) A light hearted read that pulls interest without too much thinking and doesn't focus the whole book on sex or drugs. But, it still deals with sex and drugs as part of an teenager's experience.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summer Sisters.