D. Eric's Reviews > I Know This Much Is True

I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb

Aug 08, 09

bookshelves: general-fiction
Read in August, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I believe this is only my second five star book. Wow, what a read! The main character, Dominic, seems to be going through the trials of Job in a life that just gets heavier and heavier all the time. From dealing with a disturbed twin who cuts his own hand off, a baby that died of SIDS which led to a divorce from the love of his life, and learning about his own past through therapy and a reading of his Grandfather's memoirs, Dominic walks a thin line between sanity and his brother's institutionalized fate.

Of particular note in this is the memoir of the grandfather, which is written in its entirety and could almost stand on its own as a work of merit (if a bit short-but what can you expect from a book-within-a-book).

If there is any downside to the story, it is in the overly sweet ending that wraps up a bit too quickly (in spite of the novel's enormous length). Still, after all Dominic goes through, he does deserve some happiness in his life and what he gets he does deserve.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Know This Much Is True.