Christina's Reviews > Lover Unbound

Lover Unbound by J.R. Ward

Sep 28, 07

Recommended for: a die-hard fan. don't jump into the series with this book.
Read in September, 2007

I have been a big fan of the series. I loved the first three books without reservation. Book four, Butch, was good but not as good as the others.

Lover Unbound is V's story. He is the alpha Brother of the Black Dagger Brotherhood. his book has been highly anticipated by her fans and readers for months, if not years!

This book has some serious issues right off the bat - one of which could have been solved with a good round of editing. It's just too long - unnecessarily so. In fact, I would have cut the prologue entirely and just woven it into the book, as Ward goes over this territory throughout the story as we get to know the heroine, Jane, and V.

Ward posted the supposed first lines of V's book on the message boards months ago. Her editor should have told her to stick with that as the opening. It was much stronger.

Another problem was that I found the set up for the next book way more compelling than the relationship at the heart of this book. Maybe it's because I just didn't fall for Jane. In romance novels, the reader has to fall in love with the characters.

I just didn't really like Jane. Her emotional pain that made her a vulnerable character just wasn't strong enough. So Jane just comes across as kinda dull, very smart but just not all that interesting or unique.

I will still read the series but the writing/editing needs to be tighter. Also, there was way too much slang that was not even common knowledge stuff. What was the editor thinking?!?!

Anyway ~ I ahve another 100 pages to read so I don't want to call the game just yet but I am wary. I've read the disappointing reviews from other readers who were expecting so much more from this book. Vishous is, after all, most of the readers' favorite Brother.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover Unbound.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tina I have to agree with your assessment of Jane. I just couldn't get into her either.