Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)'s Reviews > Reynold de Burgh: The Dark Knight

Reynold de Burgh by Deborah Simmons

It was great to finally read Reynold's story. I love him even more after seeing him find his way to his own happy ending. Reynold really made his leg more important than it was. He thought that it was all that anyone ever saw about him, and felt bad because it made him feel different from his brothers. He needed to strike out on his own and find himself. Fortunately, his pilgrimage brought him to a group of people badly in need of a hero. Sabine and her remaining people believe they are being preyed upon by a dragon. They entreat Reynold to protect them from the dragon. Reynold doesn't really believe in dragons, but his knight code requires him to protect those in need. Plus, Peregrine, the squire appointed by his kooky l'Estrange aunts by marriage, insists he needs to do this because it's preordained as his knight's quest. Reynold agrees to help them, and finds himself falling for the blonde beauty Sabine, even knowing she can't feel the same for him because of his infirmity.

I felt that Reynold was somewhat too mopey about his leg. It makes sense, to a certain extent. Being in a family of larger than life men, it must have been hard to be born different. This mission really gets Reynold to see himself and his 'lame' leg different. It doesn't have to be something that requires him to be alone and unloved by a good woman. It doesn't have to define him as a person. He begins to see himself through others' eyes for the strong, intelligent, capable man that he is.

Sabine adores him from the beginning, although she feels he's too good for a simple Sexton's daughter. Plus she's got her own secret cross to bear that she feel makes her unworthy of a man. Reynold is drawn to her, but thinks that she just wants his skills as a knight and not him. Reynold was somewhat frustrating in how he continued to push Sabine away because of his lack of self-worth. He was the only one who didn't see how wonderful he was. He had a habit of comparing himself to his brothers in a way that wasn't favorable for him--although having read the other de Burgh books, I could see that all the brothers have their weaknesses, no less than Reynold's. I was glad that he gets a wakeup call and comes to realize how much he's indulging in self-pity.

Although I thought this was a really good book, I was disappointed on how it was way too focused on the intrigue and mystery of the dragon. I wanted to see more about Reynold and Sabine's relationship. There are no love scenes. Okay, I admit that bothered me, because all the other de Burgh books did have some nice love scenes. I felt like Reynold should have gotten some good love scenes too. I think this book would have been five stars, if it had been a touch more steamy and if the romance was more of a focus. As it is, it's still a very good book, and I am so glad that I got to read Reynold story. I love this man!

Overall rating: 4.25/5.0 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reynold de Burgh.

08/27/2010 page 38
13.0% "I love Reynold!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Holly (last edited Aug 11, 2009 07:38AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Holly Already bought it. I found it at Walmart, saw it, and gave a whoop when I grabbed it. I startled this woman who was looking at the magazines.

I've been meaning to read it but I got distracted by some other books, mainly Jeaniene Frost's series. Plus I want to reread the series before I read Reynold's book. Also I got Agent Scully from Amazon hooked on Deborah Simmons and she wants to borrow the other deBurgh books from me so I should probably read them again before I ship'em out.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I'm glad that she finally got this published. Happy Reading!

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Wow, just the title sounds intriguing.

So this is a good series, Danielle?

message 4: by AgentScully (new) - added it

AgentScully I've only read the 1st book but really loved it.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I love this series! Here are the books:

Taming the Wolf (Harlequin Historical No 284) by Deborah Simmons Robber Bride (de Burgh, #3) (Harlequin Historical, No. 455) by Deborah Simmons My Lady De Burgh (Harlequin Historical Series, No. 584) by Deborah Simmons The De Burgh Bride by Deborah Simmons My Lord de Burgh by Deborah Simmons My Lady De Burgh (Harlequin Historical Series, No. 584) by Deborah Simmons The Brides of Christmas (Includes Warrior, #11) by Jo Beverley and the above book!

message 6: by UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva (last edited Aug 26, 2010 06:55PM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Thanks, Lady D. Is there a reading order? The books aren't numbered.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Unfortunately, I'm not 100% sure about the order. I read them out of order myself, as I acquired them. I know Taming the Wolf is first. I think The De Burgh bride might be the second. You can read them out of order, but you'd probably appreciate reading Taming the Wolf first. Maybe Scully knows. Sorry!

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Nevermind, Danielle. I went to her website and found this list. You had them.

The de Burghs:
Taming The Wolf
The de Burgh Bride
Robber Bride
"The Unexpected Guest"
My Lord de Burgh
My Lady de Burgh
Reynold de Burgh: The Dark Knight

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Thanks, Danielle. They were listed in this order on her website.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Oh, thanks, Dhestiny. She's a really nice lady too. I emailed her to tell her I liked her books. She didn't have a writing contract for a while, but as soon as she was published again, she sent me an email about her book. I'm so glad she's back around.

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva I love authors who take the time to chat with their readers. It makes them seem more... like a real person to me, not just a celebrity sitting behind their computer pounding out stories.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Agreed. And that she remembered me, even a year later, at least enough to send an email about her book coming out. That was a nice touch.

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva I agree! I know how busy they must be.

message 15: by AgentScully (new) - added it

AgentScully Great review D! I'm still collecting the books to read in order.

message 16: by Sandra (last edited Aug 29, 2010 08:19PM) (new)

Sandra I enjoyed your review Danielle. I have this book in my TBR pile. I've read her book "Robber Bride" and it was really very good. I have many more of her books in my TBR. I will have to read them soon! Nice to hear Deborah is such a nice and friendly lady.

message 17: by Angelc (new)

Angelc Great review, Danielle!! I don't like it when my romances stop focusing on the romance, either!! So frustrating!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Thanks, Sandra and Angelc. Deborah Simmons seems to be a bit underrated, but I love her books. Angelc, it's very frustrating when the mystery overshadows the romance. If I read a mystery book, that's fine. But if it's a romance, the romance should be the strongest plot element, you know?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Thanks, Scully. It's a great series!

message 20: by Angelc (new)

Angelc Danielle, I feel exactly the same way!! If it's a romance it should be about the romance, that's why we're reading it!! I totally agree!