Grace's Reviews > The Forgotten Garden

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton

Sep 21, 09

Read in September, 2009

** spoiler alert ** It has already been said that this book contains some plotlines that are reminiscent of The Secret Garden. Despite the fact that the author is clearly conscious of this fact in her novel, some readers are turned off to the book because of it. But...this book is about so much more than just the commonalities of a sick child, an orphan in a new mansion home, and a secret walled garden. It leaps back and forth between three sets of protagonists...Cassandra in the present, Nell (her grandmother) in the mid-century, and Eliza Makepeace in the late 1800s.

Anyone with an affinity for Romance (with a capital R), fairy tales, secret family histories, and abandoned houses will love this book. Although my favorite character has to be Eliza Makepeace, all of them are rendered fully and sympathetically, despite their human frailties.

And please, PLEASE don't skip the fairy tales. There are only a few of them in the book, but they are my personal favorite part of the entire experience. You can't *just* read the fairy tales, and you can't *just* read the book, because the fairy tales are inspired by the personal experiences of the author. The trials and life experiences of Eliza Makepeace are incorporated into her tales in a brilliant way that is not to be missed.

I debated between four and five stars for this book, because I did find the very beginning (before the journey to England began) quite slow and plodding. But the rest of the book is just so captivating, I had to round up, and give it 5 stars.

14 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forgotten Garden.

Quotes Grace Liked

Kate Morton
“You make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing.”
Kate Morton, The Forgotten Garden

Christy B I agree about the fairy tales. I felt so immersed by them. It kind of reminded me of the book Possession, which the fairy tales I also loved.

Grace I also enjoyed Possession. :)