Kathrynn's Reviews > Destined for an Early Grave

Destined for an Early Grave by Jeaniene Frost

Aug 31, 2009

bookshelves: romance-paranormal, series-nighthuntress_frost, own, 2009, reviewed
Read from August 29 to 31, 2009

Outstanding! The fourth book in the Night Huntress series and I was riveted to the pages. Like the previous books in this series, the main characters are Cat and Bones. This time they have to work on the multitude of issues the author mentions in the earlier books.

Destined for an Early Grave was a nice change of pace from the previous in the series. Since Cat no longer hunted bad vampires for the government, the book went in a different direction and introduced a new bad guy. Gregor. How Gregor factored into Cat's life was very imaginative. Cat has to make some major decisions for her future. Justina is forced into something and I hope we'll get more insight into her development in the future. There was a very heated argument that gave me pause. Don's (Cat's uncle) situation was left open. Still enjoyed reading about Vlad and hope to see more from his character in the spin-off from this series. Also, the ghost, Fabian, was a nice addition.

Excellent turmoil, plot building and very nicely written. Entertaining as all get out! Enjoyed the brief scene with Tate, Spade and Vlad. Some laugh out-loud moments peaked in this little read from time-to-time. Who knew Vlad was such a movie hound?
8 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Destined for an Early Grave.

08/30/2009 page 150
42.25% "Very good. Hard to put down. Nice change of pace from the earlier books in the series."
08/30/2009 page 252
70.99% "Very good! One of those hard-to-put down reads. :-)"
08/31/2009 page 355
100.0% "Excellent book!"

Auntee Kathrynn, have you read the Bones story in the anthology Unbound?

Kathrynn Get out! There's more? Thank you for telling me. Just added it and will now frantically search for it. :-) Is it going to finalize some loose ends from Destined...?

Auntee No, from what I know about it it's a prequel from Bones's POV (before he met Cat) and when he's a bounty hunter. I plan to read it next--hopefully it's a goodie!:)
I think I got mine in WalMart--it came out on Tuesday.

Kathrynn Woo-hoo. I'm going to dash up there and look for it. A prequel. Go figure.

Auntee Good luck!:)

Tammy Excellent review K! I tossed this one into my book bag before I left for work this morning. Can't wait to get started on it. So glad to hear that the author is back to writing humor again. =)

Kathrynn Hope you enjoy it, too, Tammy.

Tammy There was a very heated argument that gave me pause.

I think I just read this argument(?) This book really has me tied up in knots right now!

And now I get the whole Vlad and movie hound comment! LOL!

message 9: by Kathrynn (last edited Sep 10, 2009 03:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathrynn Hey, Tammy. I was surprised at the anger that Bones exhibited in that argument. Didn't see that coming since we never got inside his head. He had a lot to say, though. Wow!

Tammy That's what makes JF such a great writer. I am so engrossed in her books that I forget they are written in first person. I jump right into Bones's head thru dialogue!

message 11: by Kathrynn (last edited Sep 10, 2009 03:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathrynn Me, too. I rarely pay attention to the point of view a story is written in because I get the characters through dialogue. Gena Showalter writes funny books because they are in first person, imo.

Tammy I've only read her contemporary romances. They were definitely funny! Have you read her PNR's?

Kathrynn Yes. Her Lords of the Underworld and Alien Huntress series (sci fi) are NOT funny, but I've enjoyed them. I laughed a lot through "The Nymph King," and "Playing with Fire." There is a sequel to "Playing with Fire" coming out soon; otherwise, both are first books or stand alones at this point.

Playing With Fire (Tales of an Extraordinary Girl, #1) by Gena Showalter The Nymph King (Atlantis, #3) by Gena Showalter

Tammy I'll check them out. Thank you Kathrynn!

Kathrynn You're welcome, Tammy. :-)

message 16: by Angelc (new)

Angelc Great review, Kathrynn!!