D. Pow's Reviews > Zeitoun

Zeitoun by Dave Eggers

Aug 07, 09

bookshelves: to-read

Usually I think Eggers is a bit of an ass weevil but this kind of looks cool.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zeitoun.

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony I saw this in a magazine and thought "That is quite possibly one of the coolest book covers I have ever seen."

message 2: by D. (new) - added it

D. Pow Yeah, I dig the cover too. And I dig stuff about Katrina so this might be for me.

message 3: by Pinky (last edited Aug 07, 2009 05:05PM) (new)

Pinky Chris is already reading this, and I plan to dig in soon, or soonish (which means later). Did either of you guys read What is the What? It's clear there's a lot of aggro aimed at Eggers 'round these parts, but I've generally liked the guy's work, as a writer and as a publisher.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Reynolds, go read Nixonland!

message 5: by Pinky (new)

Pinky David wrote: "Reynolds, go read Nixonland!"

I promise to finish Nixonland by the time another Republicon gets elected president. Or when your avatar shows you with a combover and a big sincere smile. Whichever comes first.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

BTW, Michael, I read and liked What Is the What? (Shhh, don't tell anyone.) I pretty much hated his short story collection How We Are Hungry. But that's all I've read by him.

message 7: by D. (new) - added it

D. Pow I don't care much for his writing but his work as an editor and as a supporter of other writers is unsurpassed.

I tried to submit some short stories to McSweeney's several times. no go. But the editors over there were so frigging kind and personable that I still thought it was a great experience. They really took the time to communicate with me on a personal level and make constructive suggestions about my stuff. Stellar behavior. Eggers runs a good shop.