Jan C's Reviews > Blood from a Stone

Aug 09, 09

bookshelves: italy, mystery
Recommended for: Conspiracy theorists
Read in August, 2009

I really enjoy Donna Leon's series about Commissario Brunetti and the corruption that is Venice. Or, as in this case, the corruption that is Italy.

It is a Christmas book. For those who want to get an early start on their holiday mayhem.

It seems they have a big problem with immigrants (mostly illegal) from Africa, primarily Senegal. They pull them in and the cops give them a warning to get out of the country in 24 hours and they are back on the street. It is a vicious cycle. One of the cops, at one point tells Brunetti, "one of them laughed in my face."

One of the immigrants, vu cumpra they are called (I don't speak Italian so I don't know what it means), gets slain, gangland style, in front of a bunch of American tourists, retired doctors and their wives.

The more Brunetti wants to investigate the crime the more his boss doesn't want him to. But since when has that ever stopped Brunetti. His boss says it has been taken over by the Ministry of the Interior but it looks more like it is some higher up, more sinister ministry, possibly of justice (?). They have taken all the evidence, cleared (they think) all the computers.

Brunetti is really thinking conspiracy. And, whose to say he is wrong?

At one point he notices that all of the vu cumpra are gone. Kind of like special civic occasions in Chicago when all the homeless people seem to disappear.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood from a Stone.

08/07/2009 page 255