CJ - let me hold both your hands in the holes of my sweater's Reviews > Cry Mercy

Cry Mercy by Mariah Stewart

Aug 11, 09

bookshelves: beach-read, familyconflict, fiction-for-women, women-detectives, romantic-mystery, mystery
Recommended for: Sala, Armstrong, Lael Miller fans
Read in August, 2009

I liked this book.

I suppose that's obvious from the stars that I gave and the fact that I'm even writing a review in the first place.

However, I liked the first book better. I'm just a fan of Mal and Charlie as the main characters. BUT. Nick was a decent lead and Ann/Emme was an interesting character. I felt more connected to her than I did to Mal even though the characters have very similar backgrounds.

What I didn't like is that the book essentially ends with a sort of cliffhanger. It felt rushed and sort of implausible and none of knew what happened between Nick and Emme, what name she was going to choose, what happened with Whitacker and whether or not Chloe ever said anything to Nick or Emme.

In the sense of a romance novel, well, it's more of a mystery with romantic elements. It's a quick beach read and it's not something you should expect a lot out of. It's well-written if not not always well thought out when it comes to the end. As a reader I just kept thinking to myself, how can you not tie up some of the larger loose ends? I'm hoping they'll be another book featuring them. That would be helpful because I don't want to learn about what's happening to them solely through the POV of the new lead characters.

All in all, good story - not the greatest book of all time - but definitely worth the read for those that want a small side dish of romance with your mystery.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cry Mercy.