Jess's Reviews > Curse of the Blue Tattoo: Being an Account of the Misadventures of Jacky Faber, Midshipman and Fine Lady

Curse of the Blue Tattoo by L.A. Meyer

Apr 01, 10

bookshelves: audiobook, young-adult, historical-fiction, adventure, odyssey-honor
Read from February 23 to March 14, 2010

You can forgive the Bloody Jack books many things - unlikely plot points, melodrama, last-minute twists - because they have so much else going for them. I can't think of another historical fiction series that's as lively and comic, and I can't imagine reading them any other way than as audiobooks. Start with Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy. I know I'll roll my eyes when I hear what Jacky's up to next, but I also know I'll enjoy the ride.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Curse of the Blue Tattoo.

Kitri I'm so glad you liked it. The audiobooks truly make the story. I find that I enjoy all of the slight "forgivings" I need to give to the Bloody Jack books... because if these books were less like the tall tales they are, I wouldn't like them as much.

Jess Good point! They're definitely not going for a completely realistic flavor.

Kitri I'm in the middle of the 5th book, Mississippi Jack. I love it. ;o)