Padraigh Mchale's Reviews > Beyond the Shadows

Beyond the Shadows by Brent Weeks

Aug 07, 09

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in August, 2009

** spoiler alert ** This being the third installment of the Night Angel trilogy, at this point you either like this series or you don;t. It hasn't changed much from the first book in writing style or tone, and the same characters have been in the books through out. Really, I only have to talk about the ending, so, Here there be Spoilers!

Well, not really spoilers, per se, but a detailed comment on my feelings at the end of the book. I must admit, towards the end, I thought it was going to be too rushed, having to wrap a lo9t of things up in little time, but Weeks did admirably well. My only complaint is that, honestly, it felt like this series should've been four books, not three. Some of the build up to the last events of the series felt rushed, and I would've liked to see how things came about that played into the ending. There was also a focus on only a few certain areas in a fairly large world, I would've liked to see more of Alitaera and the feudal japanese-esque Ceurans, to be honest, and Weeks gave his world a very lived in, rich feel that just left me with wanting more.

That is why I gave the last book 4 stars and the rest of them 3. this rating isn't just for this book, which if I could I'd give 3 1/2 stars, but for the series as a whole. It was, in the end, vastly entertaining, and while I did want more, that's a good thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beyond the Shadows.