Carmaletta Hilton's Reviews > Devilish

Devilish by Maureen Johnson

Aug 07, 09

Read in August, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Once again, the ending knocks a book from 4 to 3 stars for me. I really liked the fact that there was a story where the male and female characters were just friends and had no sexual tension. I like a good couple as much as the next girl, but more than a good couple, I like the possibility of a good friendship. Though Jane was resistant at first, wary of Owen, once things got going and she needed him, they started to have a good friendship. The kiss between them and the sudden relationship between them came out of left field. It just didn't seem necessary to me.

Another thing that drops the rating was the lack of decent proofreading. There were a lot of errors in this book, not just misplaced punctuation, but a lot of missing words. In one sentence toward the end, I had to stick in 2 or 3 words before the sentence made any sense. The repeated stops to fill in the blank pulled me out of the story, broke up the flow.

I did like, though, that she did a different take on salvation from a demon. It was still sacrifice, but of a different variety. As it went along, I forgot about the book's prologue, and when Allison admitted what she done, I thought that would be the deal breaker. Maureen also did a pretty good job of hiding Allison's true intention.

Overall, it was an interesting quick read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Devilish.

08/07/2009 page 1
08/07/2009 page 109
41.44% "A quick, easy read with a building mystery. Pretty good."