Karen's Reviews > The Book of Unholy Mischief

Nov 24, 14

liked it
bookshelves: smart-pulp, food
Read in August, 2009

Newmark sets her heroes in the international port city of Venice in the years just following Christopher Columbus' journey to the New World. She puts a variety of foods and a variety of human desires center stage in this mystery. She pushes things a bit in order to get some spices and ingredients at the chef's fingertips, but it's all in support of an interesting narrative about the conflation of food, power, knowledge, love and spirit. At it's heart is the quest for discovering and transmitting hard-earned truths. It's a bit like Thief Lord meets Da Vinci Code meets People of the Book meets Like Water for Chocolate -- but I enjoyed all those books, so why not extend their life by recombining their ingredients into a new novel. I found the dinner party scenes the most compelling aspect of the novel, but the surrounding mystery was engaging--to a lesser degree. This book inspires me to elevate my cooking to an art form, and it makes me want to keep a journal. A good summer read with a culinary twist.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Unholy Mischief.

08/07/2009 page 78
21.25% "Yummy! I enjoy books that are tactile. The mystery is OK, but the detail about cooking is even better."