Mariel's Reviews > Winter of Fire

Winter of Fire by Sherryl Jordan

Nov 30, 10

Recommended to Mariel by: laughing with a mouth of blood
Recommended for: just the same but brand new
Read in August, 2009

Boy cockatiels will freeze out a girl cockatiel if she sings. I find that to be the most depressing thing ever (I'm shooting dirty looks at my cocky buddies Lester the Molestor and Hey Jude as I type this. They never even attempted to do a Lauren Bacall whistling lesson for me!). There's a scene in the film Clueless when Breckin Meyer (can't believe I just mentioned THAT name) tells Brittany Murphy (or that one) that boys do those dangerous stunts and girls don't so they'll have something to impress them with. That's bullshit. They can fan out peacock feathers, if need be. Singing is for the birds.
The society in Sheryll Jordan's Winter of Fire is the dystopian society for women. They are at the bottom of the rock pile. Ever play "When and where?" I always have to ask "Do I have to be a woman?" (And it gets tougher from there.) The quelled have to mine in caves for fire rocks to keep the special people warm. It's a world that Kevin Costner never dreamed of. Jordan's world is as good as any seen in Suzanne Collins' wildly popular The Hunger Games series. The society rules are believable enough to give pause in a world where natural resources are increasingly running out (neighboring states hate Florida over water, while our officials screwed us over, etc. It's all over). I wouldn't be surprised either if Sharon Shinn had read this book. I was strongly reminded of her Archangel book, in particular (great book). The later books are better because it isn't all about the men. Archangel is one of my favorite love stories ever because it's about freedom. They are enslaved in Winter of Fire. It pretty much sucks hard (as a rock! Flint, Michigan never had it so bad).
I wish that the relationships with the many different men didn't go on and on. This could have been an even better book. Let the girls sing.
I loved the underlying desperation to live a good life offset by the need for something more personal. It is a shame that this is out of print. Jordan's The Raging Quiet is still my favorite of hers, though.
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter of Fire.

Mariel I'd rather chew broken glass than read this again.

message 2: by Scribble (new)

Scribble Orca I recommend lining your mouth with rubber first.

Mariel I think trolls have leather mouths. Like leather face.

message 4: by Scribble (new)

Scribble Orca Leatherjackets. It's a type of fish. When I was a child we ate it.

Mariel Interesting! I wonder why the little mermaid didn't have a Fonz type leatherjacket character.

message 6: by Scribble (new)

Scribble Orca She wasn't a fish.

Mariel True. Prince Eric had no complaints about their wedding night.

message 8: by Scribble (new)

Scribble Orca Yeah. She died and went to ethereal land.

message 9: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Etheria is where She Ra lives.

message 10: by Gabrielle (new) - added it

Gabrielle I really could not follow your review. But I will say that the relationships with the men were integral and important, just as much so as the relationships she had with women. I don't understand the push some people give toward woman power by trying to eliminate or negate the relationships women have with men.