Karla's Reviews > Garden Spells

Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen

May 07, 2010

bookshelves: american, chick-lit, romance, fantasy, magical-realism, 2010, favorites
Read from May 03 to 05, 2010

Sometimes you just need a good enchanting fantasy with humor, heart and charming loveable characters. I enjoyed the differnt points of view and the revealing look into their personal jouney for love, strength and fulfillment. It captured everyday loss, pain, and personal growth and twisted in the perfect touch of whimsy.
There is a unique magical apple tree that grows in the Waverly's back garden and each Waverly woman or girl has an special gift to share with the little town of Bascom, North Carolina. They sometimes come across as oddities to this town but are wonderful ladies.
Generations of Waverly women protect and look over this rascal of an apple tree with a wild little soul that loves this family and throws apples at random to have its say in there lives. If eaten it reveals secret visions of the most memorable moment that takes place in an eaters life. You just never know what the apple's hidden secret well make known, good or bad so DON'T EAT THE APPLES!! I couldn't help but think of Adam and Eve a little with the whole apple idea.
A mystical garden grows around the tree and has gifts of it's own to share that casts little spells over anyone that eats from it also. But it makes you yearn to smell the honeysuckle and lay amongst the pansies on a clear dewy morning. I would love to eat the delectables Clarie spins this peculiar magic into, her fresh edible flower recipes sound lush and delicious. I found this as a pleasure to read and always had an edge of excitement waiting to happen. I like how it all wrapped up and made me feel good.

Favorite quote ~When you're happy for yourself, it fills you. When you're happy for someone else, it pours over.
19 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Garden Spells.

LemonLinda Yes, I would love to taste some of those luscious delicacies made in Claire's kitchen even with the threat of what mysteriouf result could come from the hidden bits of secret ingredients.

Karla Wouldn't it be fun to host a ladies luncheon and serve those dishes and watch the results?

message 3: by Kerri (last edited May 07, 2010 06:46AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kerri Karla, I loved your "rascal of an apple tree" comment....so you and a perfect description of that mischievous tree!

Karla It was obnoxious but made a fun side character. This was a great book to put between heavy reads as well.