Kim V's Reviews > Hollywood Car Wash: A Novel

Hollywood Car Wash by Lori Culwell

F_50x66
Aug 07, 09

Read in July, 2009

A Hollywood car wash, according to author Lori Culwell, is the transformation process imposed on women in the entertainment industry. The novel details the hollywood car wash heroine Amy Spencer is pressured to under go including liposuction, rhinoplasty, cosmetic dentistry, and dangerous diet drugs to keep the lead in her hit television series. Nor is the transformation process limited to Amy's physical appearance, but also spills over into her personal life when she is paid to date mega celebrity Brad Rockwell.

For those who haven't heard the rumors, Hollywood Car Wash is whispered to be about Katie Holmes. Culwell denies that the novel is based only on a single person, but rather states that "it is a number of true stories interwoven . . . ." Culwell explains her inspiration came from "the complete nonchalance with which my actress friends were told to lose weight, 'get better looking,' or change something about themselves in order to get or keep a part. This, combined with the downright absurdity of some of the stories about the business I heard and experiences I witnessed first-hand, convinced me that there was a novel in there somewhere."

Regardless of whether Hollywood Car Wash is based on Katie Holmes or not, it reads like an insider's guide to the industry. From the amoral producers and agents to the backstabbing costars Hollywood Car Wash serves up delicious dirt! Culwell's tome is the perfect beach companion!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hollywood Car Wash.