Sheree's Reviews > Loving Natalee

Loving Natalee by Beth Holloway

Aug 23, 09

bookshelves: non-fiction, read-in-2009, reviews
Recommended to Sheree by: Yvette Kelly
Recommended for: parents, young adults, true-crime fiction readers
Read in August, 2009

I do remember seeing news of Natalee Holloway's disappearance but being in Australia it probably wasn't publicised to the degree that it was in the US. Beth's story is absolutely heartbreaking, I cried from the very first page but was also inspired by Beth's faith, the compassion of many Arubans, and the innate goodness of most people. I can relate to the grief of a child's death, having lost a daughter myself but cannot even begin to comprehend the anguish and torment Beth & her family have gone through and continue to go through with the nightmare of not knowing. Reading 'Loving Natalee' is difficult enough, I can't imagine living it and I hope I never have to.

This is the story no one should have to tell, about the nightmare no one wants to live, told by the parent no one wants to be.

It's time to feel with the heart what the mind is incapable of comprehending.

Not only did I shed quite a few tears throughout the book but I also found myself shaking with anger. The apathetic approach by Aruban officials, the lost evidence, missing statements, the wicked attitude of those 'in authority' in Aruba, the lies and corruption was just staggering and I was horrified at how much needless pain was contributed to an already unbearable loss. Can you imagine being faced with this from an officer while frantically waiting to give a statement about your missing daughter "I'll have to eat my frosted flakes first ... "and get a shave before I can deal with you."

US officials & the FBI were on-site waiting for an invite from the Aruban government to assist in the investigation. When no invite was forthcoming the United States was left helpless to provide any official assistance to the so-called investigation or to the Holloways. This book certainly stripped away any naive ideas I had about the support which might be expected in an emergency when you are a foreigner in a country with an entirely different legal system and a corrupt government.

Loving Natalee is a raw, honest, coherent & courageous account. My heart goes out to Beth Holloway and her family and the many others in similar situations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Loving Natalee.

08/16/2009 page 35
08/17/2009 page 150
64.1% "OMG this is just heartbreaking!"
show 1 hidden update…