Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)'s Reviews > Trolling Nights

Trolling Nights by Savannah J. Frierson

Aug 11, 09

bookshelves: interracial-romance, owned-copy, bbw-heroine, navy-seal, favorites, hero-in-pursuit, hero-to-die-for, heroine-i-adore, love-at-first-sight, supercouple
Recommended for: Readers who want a bonafide love story
Read in August, 2009, read count: 1

I have heard nothing but good things about Savannah J. Frierson's writing. I can see the praise was well-deserved. This is one of the best books I've ever read. I've read a lot of romances, and luckily I don't actively dislike most of them. But neither can I say I love many of them to death and would seriously consider taking on a desert island as the only book I would bring. I feel that way about this book. It's one of those books you want to read again right after you finish it, and will no doubt pull off the shelf again and again to reread, in parts or completely.

This book is a love story, pure and simple. Don't let the fact that Tim and Bevin met in a bar on a night where her friends go out to pick up guys fool you. When they met, an intense connection was there. One of those once in a lifetime kind of things. Tim saw this beautiful, dark-skinned, thick/abundant/luscious/far from thin woman and knew she was the one for him. He loved her body, loved her being a dark-skinned Black woman, loved her heart and her mind, loved everything about her. Bevin thought he'd see her only as the gateway to her thin, sexy White friend who has her eye on him. But he makes it very clear that he's interested in her, not her friend. It takes a little while for this to sink in for Bevin, but Tim is a very patient man, and very willing to express his feelings for Bevin as often as possible, giving her the reassurance she needs. Tim is a man who knows what he wants, even in a very short period of time. His instincts honed in dangerous, spur-of-the moment situations make it clear that Bevin is the woman he wants and he should go for it. Tim is a very appealing hero in pursuit!

I knew I was going to like Tim early on in this book. Tim is real. He's down to earth, raw-speaking, big muscles (he picks up Bevin all the time), lovely sea-green eyes, Southern charm, mind-melting intensity and all. He knows how to love a woman. That is rare, even in a lot of the so-called romance novels that get written now. I submit that a lot of modern heroes know how to sex up a heroine. Love just happens along after they've had a few orgasms together. That is not this book. Yes, there is a strong sexual connection between Tim and Bevin, and I loved that about the novel. But it was the intense love that he shows Bevin that makes this book a winner for me.

Bevin is not an easy sale. Tim even thinks at one point that he had never worked so hard to get a woman. He says this with a sense of awe and satisfaction, no frustration. She is completely skeptical of his attentions after being ignored for her thinner, livelier, and might I submit looser friends (well, they are). He sees her as the real deal, the one that he wanted and was willing to work for.

I liked that Bevin was a strong woman, but she was gentle and sweet also. Somewhere along the way, a very pervasive stereotype of black women as hardass buttkickers who don't cry and never allow themselves to be vulnerable has caught on. It's so untrue. Black women want to be cherished and loved just like any other women. Like many other real Black women, Bevin was vulnerable, in a way that was almost painful to observe. Bevin was very real. Bevin was infinitely worthy of being loved so intensely by Tim.

Tim didn't have a real family, other than his now-deceased grandmother. His father was a drunk abuser who ran off when he was three. His mother was a drunk who neglected him. He found his home and sense of purpose in the NAVY SEALs and his team. He comes to the conclusion that he wants forever with Bevin, a family. He wants to love and cherish her and treat her with respect. You never have a moment when you doubt this in how he treats Bevin. I loved how caring and possessive Tim was. He was pretty raunchy too, but at the same time, he showed her a lot of respect. I was actually surprised at how late the consummation came and the way it came (Sorry. No spoilers here).

The secondary characters were great in this story: Bevin's wonderful parents, Tim's best friend Ulrich, Bevin's friends (Rosita, Courtney, Patrice, and Tamara), who are also her co-workers at the coffehouse The Grind that they own, and co-members in the Femme Crew. I love how Bevin's mom and dad adopt Tim very early on as their future son-in-law despite the race difference. He not only got the woman he dearly loved, but a ready-made family to go with her.

This is one of those really hard reviews to write. I can't say how much I loved this book, because my writing is nowhere near as good as Savannah J. Frierson's. But I can and do recommend reading this book from the bottom of my heart. I think that anyone who wants to read an intensely good love story that will touch the heart and engage the emotions, and keep your interest riveted past the last page would enjoy this book. It doesn't mantter if it's a fan of interracial romance, plus-sized heroine romances, or just plain romance. Yes, the sex is spicy (but happens in the best way (in my opinion), and there is some raunchy language, but this story couldn't be sweeter. In fact, I think the intense sexual attraction was an integral part of this story, because a woman should be desired intensely by the man who deeply loves her, and vice versa. I was buying her books already, but after this wonderful book, without a doubt, Savannah J. Frierson goes on my autobuy list.
30 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trolling Nights.

08/06/2009 page 33
13.52% "Savannah J. Frierson is such an engaging writer. I like Tim and Bevin very much. Great chemistry."
08/10/2009 page 67
27.46% "I am so sucked into this book. Tim is a delicious hero and I love Bevin. Her heart is so vulnerable. But Tim is worthy of her trust."
08/10/2009 page 120
49.18% "All my emotions are engaged with this story."

message 1: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Wow, great review, Danielle! Who can resist a bonafide love story? :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Thanks Dina. I am a sucker for a really good love story. :)

message 3: by Auntee (new)

Auntee Now there's a glowing review! Well said, Danielle!:)

message 4: by Angelc (new)

Angelc Great review, Danielle!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Thanks ladies. It really was a great book.

message 6: by K. (new) - added it

K. Sounds like a good one Danielle! [*K. - runs to wish list! :)*]

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Thanks, for reading the review, Maya. But I have to thank SJF for writing this book that I could wax poetically about. :)

message 9: by Shawnette (new) - added it

Shawnette All I can say is WOW :-)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I pulled this out last night and reread the love scene. I so need a life. :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Yeah I think I'll just keep it nearby. :)

message 12: by Shawnette (new) - added it

Shawnette Well you've really peaked my interest...this is one I'll DEFINITELY have to pick up ;-)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I think you will love it, Shawnette. I hope you do. :)

message 14: by Emma (new) - rated it 3 stars

Emma Great review. I'm definitely reading this book. I have a soft spot black/white romances and I have yet to read some very good ones. Now I have to find my copy ;-)

♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee) One of the best IR romances. Can I marry a fictional character?

Anino Lady Danielle, even though lulu.com & amazon.com are charging 9.99 for an ebook, I am going to buy this book. Since you've said that it's one of the best books that you've ever read, it's got to be good.

message 17: by Chrisolu (new) - added it

Chrisolu Hey, you know the funny thing, I had a feeling you were Black. I am too. I don't why but I could just sense it. Well you sold this book like the rent is due on the first and it's now 11:59pm on the 31st.

You also gave me a new author to look into. Bravo on writing about Black women in popular culture I just hate those reality shows on VH1 and portray us in such a negative light .

message 18: by Chrisolu (new) - added it

Chrisolu It looks like the hero does a chase in this book, it's my favorite sort of romance * standing ovation for this review Lady D.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I love Tim. What a guy!

Yeah, stereotypes annoy the you know what out of me. I love when people fight and challenge them in the media and in books. I hope you enjoy the book, Chrisolu!

message 20: by Chrisolu (new) - added it

Chrisolu Well I brought this book Lady D and will start it as soon as I finish "Fancy".

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) You need to read this, Chrisolu. If you have, what did you think of it?

message 22: by Chrisolu (new) - added it

Chrisolu I brought this book on my kindle and totally forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me. I will start sometime this weekend.

message 24: by Chrisolu (new) - added it

Chrisolu Thanks, I put it aside a few days to finish "Pound Foolish". I will start again tonight.

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ Great review Sis :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Thanks, Princess. Have you read this yet? I think you'll enjoy it!

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "Thanks, Princess. Have you read this yet? I think you'll enjoy it!"

I'm actually about to start it now :D

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) *fingers crossed*

Don't get any ideas, because Tim is 100% mine!

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "*fingers crossed*

Don't get any ideas, because Tim is 100% mine!"

*gasps*
Oh really? Now I gotta check this dude out LOL

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Oh he's one of my top book boyfriends, big time!

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "Oh he's one of my top book boyfriends, big time!"

ok... is it really only 4 chapters in this book? it's kinda reading like chapters or parts of chapters is missing. or am I missing something? (view spoiler) am I reading this right? or is sections of the chapters with the details missing?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Wow. It should be more than that to the story. Are you reading the Kindle version? My Kindle version has twenty chapters and an epilogue.

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ Yeah. I'm on my kindle.. I knew a lot of this story was missing and its reading backward too. Dang it! How do I fix it? Ugh I've never had this happen on a kindle book before

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I would contact Amazon Kindle support and tell them your ebook is incomplete. They should send you a new one.

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "I would contact Amazon Kindle support and tell them your ebook is incomplete. They should send you a new one."

alright. bout to do that. or attempt too

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ Ok apparently I only bought the "Interludes" to this book on my Kindle. I didn't speak to a rep but I noticed it in the title. They were different. One is Trolling Nights & the other is Trolling Nights Interludes (which would explain the disjointed writing & why its only 4 sections of the book. The prob with that is, the book is in Paperback & the only thing available on Kindle edition, is the interludes. Which is weird. so I'm jus goona try to return it :(

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I can loan my copy. Send me your email via PM.