Christina (A Reader of Fictions)'s Reviews > The Hobbit, or There and Back Again

The Hobbit, or There and Back Again by J.R.R. Tolkien

Mar 29, 10

bookshelves: favorites-fantasy, favorites-classics, on-my-shelves
Read from March 23 to 29, 2010

Bilbo Baggins, a perfectly respectable hobbit who never went on any adventures, finds his life turned up upside down at the arrival of Gandalf the wizard. Bilbo ends up accompanying Gandalf and thirteen dwarves on a quest to recover treasure from a dragon. I tried several times, unsuccessfully, to read this book when I was younger, but loved pretty much every page this go round. This book differs a bit from The Lord of the Rings, primarily because Tolkien wrote it for children probably. The Hobbit has quite a bit of humor, beautiful language, even more songs and bursts with onomatopoeia. A beautiful, engaging read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hobbit, or There and Back Again.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Luke Zwanziger Have you read this before?

Christina (A Reader of Fictions) I tried a few times in middle school/early high school and didn't like it. So far though, I'm loving it. Tolkien is just something I had to grow into. I really think that taking the Arthurian lit class might have made all the difference, because Tolkien's coming out of that high fantasy tradition.