Jim's Reviews > The Ashes of Worlds

The Ashes of Worlds by Kevin J. Anderson

M_50x66
Aug 06, 09

Read in July, 2009

This is the 7th and final book of the Saga of the Seven Suns. What a fantastic ride! Seven very long books, each hard to put down, with a multitude of story lines occurring at the time all over the galaxy.

Each book is written similarly...each chapter continues the story from the point of view of a particular character...and believe me, there are lots of them. If you forget, there is glossary of characters in the back of each book. And if don't read them one right after the other, there is summary of the story so far at the beginning of each book.

Humanity is divided into three groups: the Hansa Empire, located on earth; the Roamers, a group of self-sufficient roaming traders who occupy several star systems and supply many raw materials, including star drive fuel that they harvest from stars; and humans who live on the planet Theroc: a peaceful people that can communicate all over the galaxy instantaneously using the worldtrees that grow on the planet. They accompany star ships so field commanders can keep in touch with their home world.

There is also the Ildirian Empire, an advanced and friendly civilization of human-like creature who helped earth humans move out to the stars by supplying them with star-drive technology many years prior to the start of the story. They also found 2 ships sent by earth many years previous to colonize new worlds. These were the foundation of the Roamers and the people of Theroc. There was also a 3rd ship that was never found...or was it?

There are also some non-human creatures that inhabit the galaxy, but I won't go into them here. One of them starts a war with humans after earther's unwittingly sets off a weapon in an unihabited solar system.

This whole series of books was an incredible tale that always took new twists and turns and introduced new characters and bad guys throughout. Of course, each book ends with a hell of a cliffhanger so you are ready to go out and buy the next one. Lots of surprises all over the place.

When it comes to science fiction, I have a low believability factor. If a book introduces story lines and characters that are too fantastic for my imagination, I will put the book down forever. There was some of that in this series...but the author was smart enough to put them into later volumes. Had they been introduced earlier, I might have stopped reading. But by the time they showed up, they made some sense in light of previous occurrences.

The science fiction series is a classic in my mind and I am so happy to have read it. I almost wish it had not ended. It is quite a story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ashes of Worlds.