Shaya's Reviews > The Nature of Jade

Aug 13, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: animal-fiction, realistic-fiction, summer-2009
Read in July, 2009

My sister highly recommended this to me, but I just didn't like it anywhere near as much as she did.

I liked the premise of a girl with a panic disorder who volunteers with the elephants at the zoo. The animal behavior and the elephant parts were really fun and enjoyable. And I liked the conversations with her therapist.

But I felt the writing dragged a bit and it could have been a lot more engaging. I read some of the negative reviews of this before I picked it up, so I noticed flaws I might not have otherwise.

The sterotypical dad was just annoying. Jade's realization that her dad wasn't a stereotype helped a little, but a 3-dimensional dad from the beginning would have been way better.

The foreshadowing in this book made me want to growl. Can't there be any surprises!?! Or very subtle clues that you don't see until after the event has happened? Pleaz! I'm thoroughly sick of this literary device which seems to be overused in many young adult books.

All in all, I think there were some good ideas in this book but the author wasn't able to carry it. I don't think I'll read any more of her books.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Nature of Jade.