Christina's Reviews > Mao's Last Dancer

Mao's Last Dancer by Li Cunxin

Dec 20, 09

bookshelves: 2009-reads, memoir
Read in December, 2009

I'm not sure how to properly review this. It's just an absolutely beautiful story. I read the edition with the additional chapters (the film tie-in) and I must say, I really appreciated knowing what happened 'after' the publication of the book: what happened to Cunxin's parents, brothers, friends, etc etc... I was able to put aside my usual dislike for film tie-ins for that reason alone.

Watching the trailer now just made me cry my eyes out because I could recognise all the scenes from the book. I can't wait to see it now (actually I've been dying to see it since September...) because it looks like it's going to be a wonderful adaptation. My aunt saw it without reading the book and she felt she would have been more emotionally touched if she'd read it, and I'm inclined to agree with her... just watching the trailer before and after reading has had hugely differential reactions.

Story-wise, I highly recommend EVERYONE READS IT! It will fill you up with so much hope: Life is what you make of it. You are not stuck in that ditch. You can move on to greater things. Nothing is impossible!

Absolutely beautiful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mao's Last Dancer.

12/16/2009 page 118
24.58% "So close to crying my eyes out when he leaves his family! D:" 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (last edited Dec 21, 2009 05:06PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess YAYYYYY I am so happy you loved it too! Apparently he lives in Melbourne now with his family and works in financial planning or something. What a talented guy!

Christina I KNOW! I wish I could have seen him in performance! Have you seen the movie yet?

Jess Yea I saw the movie as soon as it came out. I thought it was fantastic :)

I was prepared to not like it because I love the book so much, but I thought they did a really good job. You need to have read the book to really appreciate the emotions though. The guy who played Li was really great... his dancing gave me goosebumps

Christina aaah! Dying to see it :( I didn't want to see the movie without reading the book and now I'm having trouble trying to find someone to go with me! Ah, dilemmas.