Carrie's Reviews > Carnal Innocence

Carnal Innocence by Nora Roberts

Apr 07, 2012

bookshelves: suspense, read-2009, audio, re-read, read-2010, manipulative-friends-family
Read from August 21 to 25, 2010

ETA: 4/7/12 The unagridged version narrated by Tom Stechschulte is now available on audible.com!

5* for the narrator/narration. Listened to this on audio narrated by the masterful Tom Stechschulte. Absolutely amazingly deep, sexy voice. Recommended if you can find it.

While listening to a book on audio the reader is forced to listen to all the description and not skim. I'm guilty of skimming at times, especially when the action gets going and I'm on the edge of my seat. While listening to Stechschulte's excellent narration of Carnal Innocence, I was struck by the rich details Roberts includes in her book. She never rushes a scene, either. She sets it up and then almost plays with her readers, slowing down the action and making you wait for the punch. But her descriptions aren't fillers only there to increase word count. The words paint a picture, enabling the reader see the muddy water, and feel the steamy heat, and smell the marsh. Her writing is vivid and alive. Roberts has written books I don't care for, but when she's on, she's amazing. And she's "on" more times than not.
11 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carnal Innocence.

message 1: by Norma (new)

Norma Wow! Great review! I know my library has a paper copy of this. Now I think I'll look and see if they have the audio. Sounds great.

Carrie Make sure you check the narrator. there is an abridged version floating around out there, too. The narrator for this one is wonderful. In print this novel might feel a little dated, being originally published in the early 90's. But that isn't a problem for me, especially when listening to the audiobook. In a way, the book could have been set anytime from the 60's through the 90's and not change much in rural Mississippi.

I'd like to listen to more by this narrator.

message 3: by Norma (new)

Norma If I can handle the constant twitching of Rafferty's mustache in LH's book (can't recall the title right now, but the one before Diamond Bay), then I can handle a book set in the 90's! One thing I've noticed about NR is that even when the setting is so clearly a different time, she has a way of not letting her books feel so dated.

♡Karlyn P♡ Great review for an audio book! I'll get it soon.

Kimberly Love Stechschulte!

Carrie He's wonderful, isn't he? I think you'll love him on this book. Thanks for commenting!