Carrie's Reviews > Devil's Cub

Devil's Cub by Georgette Heyer

Aug 05, 2009

bookshelves: historical, read-2008, audio, humorous, re-read, read-2011, fake-relationship-moc, manipulative-friends-family
Read from November 28 to December 02, 2011

Originally read 2008.

Continuing the saga of the Alistair clan, Devil's Cub takes up the tale with the Marquis Vidal, son of the Duke of Avon and Leonie from These Old Shades. Vidal is showing all the signs of following in his fathers infamous footsteps, gambling heavily, drinking excessively, dueling, and cutting a wide swath through the female population of England. He is cold-hearted and detached for the most part, and definitely reckless. His one real affection is his mother, and he shows a deal of respect for his father, if not actual affection.

I loved watching Vidal change. I'd have liked a little more exploration of his changed feelings, but did understand what fascinated him about Mary, and why he decided he needed her.

More than anything, perhaps, I enjoyed revisiting the characters from These Old Shades. Leonie is a funny as ever, and her interactions with Rupert are still delightful. Heyer's ability to write secondary characters is one of her strong points, and this novel is filled with people we may see only once or twice, but who are well-rounded enough to be memorable.

The last installment of the Alistair Trilogy is actually one of Heyer's historical novels, An Infamous Army, which bring together characters from these books, and a secondary character from Regency Buck. I consider The Black Moth to be the Prequel to this series, even though the names are different. It's obvious that Heyer used the Duke of Andover from The Black Moth as the inspiration for the Duke of Avon, and lifted almost the entire backstory for the characters in These Old Shades from the previous book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Devil's Cub.