Karen's Reviews > Guilty Pleasures

Guilty Pleasures by Laura Lee Guhrke

2050019
Aug 19, 09

Read in August, 2009

Daphne Wade has a guilty pleasure...she can't keep herself from lusting after her super sexy boss. She fell in love with Anthony Courtland at first sight, but although they have worked together for five months, he doesn't know she exists. Anthony pays little attention to the homely woman who does restoration work on the artifacts at his excavation site. He does appreciate her work, but as far as the woman under the unattractive clothes and eyeglasses, Anthony couldn't care less.

Daphne is content to worship him from afar, until one day she overhears Anthony discussing her with his sister Viola. Her world is turned upside down when she hears what Anthony really thinks of her. He doesn't see her as a woman at all...she's nothing more than a mousy, unattractive, subservient person that Anthony refers to as a "unfeeling machine" and a "bug on a stick". Daphne is crushed. She decides right then and there that she can't work for him any longer, so she turns in her resignation.

Daphne's resignation makes Anthony stand up and take notice. He needs her to complete the restoration in time for his museum opening. And besides, he's a duke. He said she can't quit, and what he says goes...or does it? As Anthony tries to convince Daphne to stay, everything he believed to be true about this meek little woman is turned upside down.

The characters in Guilty Pleasures bring this story to life. Although Anthony was arrogant and self-important, his difficult childhood gave him a touch of vulnerability that made him a sympathetic hero. As far as Daphne is concerned, who doesn't root for the plain Jane heroine who turns things around and captures the hero's heart? I know I do!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guilty Pleasures.

08/17/2009 page 1
08/18/2009 page 20
5.21% "Only page 20 & very good so far." 1 comment

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rane (new) - added it

Rane Awesome Review Karen! Now am "really" going to have to add this book to the TBR pile!

message 2: by Texndahlin (new) - added it

Texndahlin Shoot! looks like my TBR is a climbing too! :) thanks for the review Karen :)

Karen Thanks guys!

I'm reading The Marriage Bed now (it's about Anthony's sister Viola). I made it through page 50 during lunch and I wanted to take the rest of the day off just so I could stay home and read it!

message 4: by Angelc (new)

Angelc Great review, Karen! I think I would like this one more than the other one of hers you reviewed recently :)

♥Aicha~high~on~books♥ Nice review Karen!
Can't wait to read this one!