Sara-larus's Reviews > The Horse and His Boy

The Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis

U 50x66
Sep 22, 07

I wanted to finally read this series. As I kid I was given The Chronicles as a gift. I didn't own very many books and I was in love with the set and, especially, the box that it came in. So much in love that I only wanted to LOOK at the box on the shelf. I did read the first book about the wondrous wardrobe.
I also remember adults around me talking about a Christian allegory -- Aslan and all that. But at the time I was silent but internally venturing into literary criticism: I was sure they were wrong and I was angrily making a case to myself. Well, now I know how wrong I, in fact, was. I am not even going to finish the one about the magician's apprentice. I think I am deeply offended that Lewis was so unimaginative in the end, to lay it all on Christ, Genesis, etcetera. Maybe I am overly sensitive when it comes to Christian allegory b/c Christianity is hardly underground in this culture. But but but! There is something that I love about the quality of Lewis' writing, and it has to do, I think, with its old-fashioned-ness... the authorial voice is so gentlemanly and kind and appealing. And I want that in a easy story. That is why The Horse and His Boy is here: this is a first-rate story -- thrilling, fast-paced, lyrical. And there's hardly a touch of the heavy-handed... well, Aslan is there, but he seems truly himself as a mystic and lion after all.
Plus, I love any story about the desert.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Horse and His Boy.