Cat's Reviews > What is the What

What is the What by Dave Eggers

Feb 02, 10

bookshelves: learning-other-wise
Read from January 29 to February 02, 2010

The kind of book that confirmed for me that readers (this seems to be an occupational hazard, or at least quirk) have different phases and there are different times that things should be read. I picked this book up in the summer intending to read it and get it out of my life (i.e. off my shelves; they groan with the weight of unread books) and couldn't even begin to find my way into the story. I put it down and only just picked it back up again this week, and I'm already halfway through it.

I'm still leery of Eggers' appropriation/adaptation? of the Lost Boys' story though it does raise the interesting question of who gets to say what, especially when certain voices (like those of well-regarded award-winning and admittedly very talented young authors) might speak louder than others, and are therefore able to speak to a larger audience than perhaps the more authentic voices. Knee-jerk reaction against subtitling the book "The Autobiography..." but for those post-post-modernists out there, well, I can understand the complicating/compromising of What It Means To Use Certain Terms.

But I'm enjoying it, to say the least, even if I find Achak a little more westernized? liberally left-winged? than I can believe. The story, elle va.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What is the What.