Steve Walker's Reviews > Starship: Mutiny

Starship by Mike Resnick

Feb 05, 11

Read from December 03, 2010 to February 04, 2011

Rollicking good fun. It has the framework of your typical galactic war scenario, but Resnick quickly rises above that and takes you on an adventurous ride. The Sci-Fi setting is his choice but this is a solid story would work in any setting; as a western, Roman conquest, medieval knights, or modern warfare. Resnick weaves a cast of characters with depth and well-defined relationships. Cole is the quintessential bad/tough guy that bucks the system and breaks the rules because it is the right thing to do. He frustrates his superiors who are constantly forced to admit that in the final analysis his insubordination wins battles and saves lives. He gets into precarious and no-win situations and somehow comes out the other side. Resnick keeps the action hanging on the edge and the pages turning to follow the action.

Along the way Resnick offers great commentary and observation on military protocol, politics, honor, and the idiocy of war that are as much relevant in our world as the galaxy he has created.

This is the first book of a multi-volume series and I can't wait to sink my teeth into the next installment!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starship.