Teresa Shen's Reviews > Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art

Walking on Water by Madeleine L'Engle

Aug 05, 09

This book changed the way I view myself as a writer, and strengthened my commitment to the practice of art. In this book, L'Engle offers meditations on what it takes to create art. Unlike other writing advice books, she focuses on some of the more spiritual aspects of leading a writing life.

There are three things that really stood out to me. First, she talks about writing as obedience and about being a servant to the art. She believes all great works of art are divinely inspired, and it is our job to have a daily practice in order to hear that divine inspiration.

Second, she talks about writing for children. She says we should not dumb down anything for children. I believe she practiced this in her writing, because everything she writes is always challenging and never caters to a general readership. I think this is what makes her so respected, in my mind, the fact that she doesn't feel she needs to make anything palatable. She respects the intelligence of her readers.

Finally, she talks about finding time to write. She says that as mothers, it is difficult to find time to write, and we need to be pigheaded about it. I love that word "pigheaded".

There are so many gems in this book. I know I will be re-reading this over my lifetime.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Walking on Water.