Marlan's Reviews > The Vast Fields of Ordinary

The Vast Fields of Ordinary by Nick Burd

Aug 05, 09

Read in July, 2009

A good read. When I started it, I prepared myself for a long and bitter tale of closeted suburban hell. Dade's parents are splitting up, his hot closeted boyfriend is a selfish asshole, and he has no real friends in school. Thankfully things go up from here. The summer after he graduates he meets up with Lucy, a spitfire lesbian who becomes his bff. She's awesome and gives him the emotional support he's been starving for. Dade also meets Alex, an adorable drug dealer who's crazy sweet and is pretty much the perfect boyfriend (drugs aside of course).

What I like best about this book is how Dade steps out of his comfort zone and takes a chance on adventure. He grows some self respect and dumps Pablo (the closeted a-hole)and more importantly doesn't go back to him. I loved watching his self-confidence grow. The characterizations and dialogue were fairly spot on thoughtout the story. Pablo (the a-hole ex)comes across selfish, but haunted, so you can't help feeling a little sorry for him.

Why this didn't get the full five stars:
There is a side plot about a missing girl, which never impacts the story in any meaningful way. It does act as a handy metaphor and plot device, but it comes across forced which weakens its effect.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vast Fields of Ordinary.