R's Reviews > The New Leaders: Transforming The Art Of Leadership Into The Science Of Results

The New Leaders by Daniel Goleman

Sep 22, 2007

liked it
Recommended for: Andrew
Read in September, 2007

New Leaders follows on from Emotional Intelligence by the same author and summarises much of the previous book, leaving out most of the technical 'way the brain works' information included in the first book.

The first half of the book is applicable to just about anyone, and provided useful insight in effectively dealing with people, the need to be self-aware, and provides a very interesting list of the emotional intelligence leadership skills -- good leaders tend to have a least one key EI skill from each of the listed categories. I enjoyed the book as it called to my attention the skills I have and those I lack with a very positive message that skills that are lacked can be developed through mindfulness and practice in everyday life.

The last section "Building Emotionally Intelligent Organizations" is targeted at those in management positions (not me!)and focuses on methods to develop these skills throughout the leadership team to affect the entire organization.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The New Leaders.