Beanbag Love's Reviews > The Thief

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner

Dec 07, 09

bookshelves: frequent-re-reads

This is one of my favorite book series. It was one of those odd things where a book cover just grabs you and you just have to buy it. I'm so glad I did.

I read The Thief a couple of years ago and I'm not exaggerating when I say that I always leave all three books in this trilogy out and accessible for a quick fix. They sit on my desk and they don't get moved unless I pick them up to read them. I'm so thrilled they've come out in e-book form because I miss them when I travel.

It's actually kind of difficult to get people to read this series for some reason. Maybe because it's not a romance -- or rather it's not an obvious romance -- and the first book is written in the POV of a young teen. A thirteen-year-old boy (age is a guess -- we're never told) named Gen tells the story and he's a great narrative character.

But it's so worth reading them. But don't looking at the back covers. Seriously, you do NOT want to be spoiled with these books. The twists and surprises are excellent.

This is the first book of Turner's YA Queen's Thief series, followed by The Queen of Attolia and The King of Attolia.

It's actually a quick read if you sit down to it. Her self-created mythology is engaging, and challenging. Some have said they had trouble 'getting into it.' To that I can only say 'stick with it.' If you read all three books, I can nearly guarantee you'll want to go back and start over at The Thief to see all the subtle clues as to what was going to happen later.

Um ... have I mentioned I really love this series? ;^)
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thief.

Quotes Beanbag Liked

Megan Whalen Turner
“You learn something new everyday."
"What are you learning?" Sophos asked.
"To keep my mouth shut, I hope.”
Megan Whalen Turner, The Thief

Megan Whalen Turner
“No friend had I made there, but I wasn't with this group to make friends, and besides, he sneered too much. I've found that people who sneer are almost always sneering at me.”
Megan Whalen Turner, The Thief

message 1: by Angelc (new)

Angelc Great review, Beanbag! I tried to read this series once, but couldn't get into, your review makes me want to try again.

Beanbag Love Oh, you really should! It won the Newberry Honor for good reason. :D