Roxane's Reviews > The Demon's Covenant

The Demon's Covenant by Sarah Rees Brennan

Jan 23, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, urban-fantasy, speculative-fiction, young-adult, agency-author
Read from May 11 to 20, 2010

Once again, I shall not even pretend to be the least objective about Sarah Rees Brennan's work. I was hard pressed not to squeal like a shameless fangirl when copies of the French edition of book 1 came in at the agency I used to work at. I think my colleagues noticed my enthusiasm nevertheless, perhaps the frantic hugging of the book tipped them off, or maybe they're just particularly receptive. Who knows?

The first title of the Demons trilogy, written from Nick's point of view was a pure treat. Book two, written from Mae's point of view was just as good! SRB deconstructs so many clichés and happily flushes them down the drain it's hard to pinpoint all of them. Here are a few: a heroine that has no magical ability, uses her wits to make things happen and is not afraid to take matters into her own hands to get what she wants; a love triangle that's not really one. This story is not about who Mae's going to pick. In fact, she may not 'pick' anyone, there might not a happily settled couple at the end of this series! But, if you really must know, if I were Mae I'd pick Alan, but that's beside the point really. If there a is love story in this series, the Reeves brothers are probably its protagonists (and no, I'm not talking about slash... well, not necessarily...). *ahem* Continuing on the flushing of clichés, SRB's gay character is not just here for comic relief. He stands as a main character in his own right.

If you've enjoyed book 1, you don't need me to tell you to go read this NOW! But just in case: GO READ THIS NOW!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demon's Covenant.