Cherie's Reviews > Don't Get Too Comfortable: The Indignities of Coach Class, The Torments of Low Thread Count, The Never-Ending Quest for Artisanal Olive Oil, and Other First World Problems

Don't Get Too Comfortable by David Rakoff

Aug 04, 09

Possibly my favorite contemporary writer. His fiction (like an excellent entry on "This American Life" about a holiday party gone wrong) is entertaining. But his essays on American culture are spot-on. They are well-crafted, well-researched, and clever. Rakoff doesn't need to resort to the same snark behind which many writers hide.

In this collection, Rakoff explores just how selfish we have become, and how that selfishness manifests itself. And the writer is not exempt. In one piece, he can't understand why a donation of fancy toiletries is declined. The upscale brand's decidedly "retro" look appears like common drugstore fare to those in a much lower tax bracket. But let Rakoff tell you. His language is far more entertaining.

NOTE: for excellent recent work, check out Rakoff's July 09 review of "Bruno" at salon.com, or my personal favorite, http://www.postitnotestories.com/2009...
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Get Too Comfortable.