Ernie Jr.'s Reviews > The Talismans of Shannara

The Talismans of Shannara by Terry Brooks

Jan 10, 2011

Read in December, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I recently reread Talismans for the third time. Terry Brooks has built something in his world, something into his stories, that draws me back constantly. He writes characters with human issues who are true heroes, finding courage within themselves and strength in their loved ones to overcome adversities. It is the old-school, tried and true story telling, the Hero's Journey that is the foundation of Fantasy.

Talismans is no different in that respect. Within the book he wraps up a number of divergent story lines in a great climax that explores the dangers of power (such as magic) and its capacity to be used for evil by those who seek after self rather than the good of others. The Ohmsfords, the elves, and all the people face the greatest of enemies any person, fictitious or real, ever faces. They face the capacity for evil within.

I have only one minor complaint, based on my own background in religion. The Four Horsemen of Revelation (the Apocalypse) are not War, Famine, Pestilence, and Death. In Revelation 6, the four riders on the four horses are the conqueror (white horse), war (red horse, famine (black horse), and death (pale horse). These four horsemen do not serve evil, but God. The conqueror on the white horse is, in fact, Christ himself (read Revelation 19-20).

But over all, as with all of Terry Brooks' writings, I have thoroughly enjoyed once more this tale and would recommend it to any and all who enjoy classic fantasy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Talismans of Shannara.