MacK's Reviews > The Hippopotamus

Aug 04, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: brit-lit, contemporary
Read in August, 2009

Faith: (n) a belief based on things hoped for rather than things seen.

I have faith in a great many things, most of all in literature and authors I admire. So I had faith that the first novel I read from Stephen Fry would allow me to revel in awe of one of the most sophisticated and witty writers in the world today.

Which is why I was startled to confront a first in my long life of reading--a plea for faith, for willing suspension of disbelief...that I could not willingly suspended my disbelief for...

As Fry's protagonist, Ted Wallace, explores the country home of Lord Logan, and the strange, nearly miraculous goings-on there, we confront faith in all its forms, and startlingly, shockingly, I ran out of faith.

Fortunately, so does Ted Wallace. I have never sought to disprove a person's faith, but Ted Wallace does--and in an impressive denouement faith is justified...only not where you expect.

I had faith that I would laugh, smile, and cheer out loud for Stephen Fry throughout this book--I did, but so sparingly that the occasional laugh, smile and cheer was even more satisfying. (Though, disappointing...if such a thing is possible...and I have faith that it is)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hippopotamus.