(0v0)'s Reviews > Eat, Pray, Love

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

F_50x66
Sep 22, 07

Recommended for: white bourgeois american female malcontents

What I'm about to say must be wrong, because I couldn't get through this book. I tried. And I failed. So: I have NO BUSINESS WRITING THIS. Don't read it.

A cousin recommended EPL and I thought it would teach me something about the book market. My secret boyfriend at the public library was horrified I checked it out, given his ACLU-offensive intimacy with my record and tastes; and yes, like others, I was embarrassed to have EPL in my possession.

Because:

Subaltern poaching for the 21st century. Taker mentality as spiritual quest.

These people need their own version of Outside magazine or some shit. Oh yeah, they already do. It's called the GAIAM catalog.

Yeah. We're talking some serious dilettante tourism: taking entire countries as theme spas. Italy for excess, India for asceticism, Indonesia for the middle path.

Ladies: Country I is not your personal terrain for self-discovery. You don't get to interiorize Country I as a metaphor for your personal potential. If your interior journey needs a bunch of leisure time and poor countries to be realized, maybe you're asking the wrong questions.

The consumerist mentality was so self-important and so priveleged that I just couldn't make myself give this book any more time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eat, Pray, Love.

Comments (showing 1-15)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 15: by Greg (last edited Jun 18, 2009 12:22PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Greg You didn't miss anything. It is a terrible book and the author is so self-absorbed that it's amazing she is kind enough to let us live in the same universe with her.

Kristin I hadn't even thought of the neo-colonialism aspect, but you are absolutely right! Fascinating...

Sharon The neo-colonialism slant on this book is right on target.

Lisatroxel I'm with you, tried it as a favor to my dad who didn't "get it" either. Called him up and said "Can I stop already?"

Biosyd Oh, I can't seem to finish it either. There I admit it. I will finish it sooner or later, but it will be painful. uggggg

Yvette I totally agree. Gave it away without finishing it. didn't see the movie either... how was this so popular?

Carla I hate it too. Glad I'm not the only one.

message 8: by C (new) - rated it 1 star

C I know a few didn't finish this book either. I couldn't myself... Seems too much like an adult whining throughout the book. I finished by watching the movie.

message 7: by Angelica (new)

Angelica Pavelock I've been trying for two years to finish it and I can't get past Italy!

Lindsey Your "recommended for" comment is spot on and made me laugh out loud.

Amanda This book is the best cure for insomnia . Every time I picked it up to try and read I promptly fell asleep!! I gave up in India and decided to give it away for free at a school book stall. It wasn't worthy of my bookshelf.

message 4: by KJ (new)

KJ Whenever I see the word's DONT READ or DO READ it is my instant instinct to go against other peoples expressed wishes deliberately. However because I couldn't tell whether you where telling me to not read the book or the reveiw, I decided to read your reveiw. And actually I agree with your statement "What IS this MOVEMENT of lily-white bourgeois women with fancy educations working themselves into identity crises that they think can be solved by a new form of coloniasm? This hyper-feminized adventure travel?"
So I probably won't like this book either, ta for the heads up.

message 3: by Stop33 (new)

Stop33 I have no compunction about commenting on a book I did not finish. If I didn't finish it I wasn't enjoying it.

message 2: by kk (new) - rated it 1 star

kk rousseau Thank you. I hated this book too, and was disgusted by the meaning of its prominence on the best-seller lists. Are most of our neighbors shallow nitwits and imbeciles? GAIAM: hilarious comment. Interesting take on colonialism That hadn't occurred to me. Thank you for your bitter wit. I mean that in the best possible way. This is the most amusing review in ages. I might have to friend or follow you now. Please write more.

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura Martin-la Horrible. Self absorbed, self centered, selfish privileged Brat. Finished it this morning after 14 months of forcing myself to read it. Wow. and a movie. why?!