Bree's Reviews > Cut

May 16, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: 2000-2005, young-adult
Read in May, 2008

A good young-adult book, dealing a lot with emotions and how to deal with them. Not a lot happens in the book, but overall it was an interesting read. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cut.

Terri The whole "cutting" behavior is something I really can't intellectually or emotionally connect to. I really don't get why people would cut themselves intentionally. Even reading this book, and trying to understand how a person would feel emotional release or calming from the behavior, I just don;t understand. But it is a serious issue and I am glad that Ms. McCormick addresses the problem (which I understand is a lot more common than we probably think).

Bree On the whole, I find these sorts of disorders interesting...I've never done it and don't understand WHY someone would but I think that's why I read about them, to see if a person can find the reason behind it. And it is a common thing - I work with a lot of young people at my job at a fast food restaurant and know at least 3 girls have scars up their arms, and this is in a smallish town.

Terri That is really sad. I hope they can find another outlet for their emotions someday

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer There's another good YA novel that deals with the self-mutilation problem: Shelley Stoehr's Crosses. I don't understand it either!

message 5: by Leah (new)

Leah Meyer People with emotional disorders will do almost anything to release what is bottled up and over taking them. For myself, there are times when I feel so overwhelmed by my disorder that 'cutting it away' is the first thing that comes to mind to relieve the pressure and to some how make it go away. We cannot understand why people do the things they do, but really, each of us have certain things we do in order to cope. There are many many different ways we cope and deal-but, some are accepted and some are taboo. There is so much to say about cutting...about any disorder people have.

Terri The sad thing is that societal and familial pressure is sometimes so intense. And that there is STILL such stigma associated with getting psychological help.