Starling's Reviews > Death in Holy Orders

Death in Holy Orders by P.D. James

Aug 06, 2009

bookshelves: fiction, mystery
Read in August, 2009

This is the third P.D. James book I've read in the last couple of weeks. No question but that I prefer the newer books to the older ones from this small sample.

Adam Dalgliesh goes up to visit a small religious college where he spent several summers as a teenager. He is making a trip north for his own reasons, but he is visiting the college because a student has died there under strange circumstances and the student's father has pulled strings to have the case looked over by Dalgliesh.

As usual there is an interesting set of characters and an interesting mystery. I don't read these books, or any mystery, so I can solve the puzzle. Frankly, I've never seen the solution in any of P.D. James' books on my own. I read to enter a different world from the one I live in, and this particular book certainly took me into a world that I could never have entered in person.

I gave the book four stars because I enjoyed reading it and will go and find more books like this one in my local public library.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death in Holy Orders.

08/04/2009 page 36
8.39% "Need a break from Queen Victoria. I didn't realize that I'd read this book before, but I have."