Jennifer's Reviews > Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

Superman by Alan Moore

Aug 04, 09

Read in August, 2009

The collection I read contained "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" as well as Alan Moore's other two Superman stories, a Swamp Thing crossover and the annual "For the Man Who Has Everything." The Swamp Thing story didn't do much for me, but the other two were simply brilliant, particularly the title story. There's a reason people pretty much universally call Alan Moore a genius.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Superman.

message 1: by Caroline (new)

Caroline  'For the Man Who Has Everything' is a fave of mine. I'm sure there's a lot of stuff I miss by not being a Superman junkie but it still works really well. Morrison's JLA has a cool variation on the same theme, and Geoff Johns stole the flowers a device in a Hal/Ollie story in his 'Infinite Crisis' GL tie-in. But Moore did it first and best.

Jennifer Caroline wrote: "'For the Man Who Has Everything' is a fave of mine. I'm sure there's a lot of stuff I miss by not being a Superman junkie but it still works really well. Morrison's JLA has a cool variation on th..."

I know people who have issues with Clark's "perfect life" being on Krypton instead of Earth, which I understand -- and apparently it isn't handled quite as well in the JLA episode based on it, which I think is where a lot of people's objections come from. I like Kryptonian Superman, and I appreciate that look at his home world (plus his "perfect life" obviously wasn't perfect at all, so there was clearly more going on there). But overall I think I tend to fall on the "Superman is Clark" side of the argument, so I preferred "What Ever Happened?" because it felt like the opposite of "For the Man Who Has Everything" -- a Clark whose human relationships and life really ARE of primary importance to him.

That said, Batman and Wonder Woman in "For the Man Who Has Everything" are probably more awesome than in anything else I've read them in.

message 3: by Caroline (new)

Caroline  I remember being bugged by some stuff in 'Whatever' but I couldn't tell you what it is at this point. I'd probably need to reread it to do it justice, which is the case with Moore a lot.