Linda's Reviews > The Price of Everything: A Parable of Possibility and Prosperity

The Price of Everything by Russell Roberts

2191267
Aug 04, 2009

it was ok
Recommended to Linda by: Daniel
Read in August, 2009 , read count: 1

About half-way through, and the dialogue is as clunky as those cars being recently swapped for cash . In fact, the book reads as the video accompanying my 7th grade Spanish book sounded: very contrived. "No hay carpetas," indeed.

But I do have to admit that there is some good in what the author is (obviously) trying to portray: that the world isn't just about corporate greed gouging the poor, but about innovation driven by incentives, not all of which are money. He challenges his readers to think about how Americans have become ten times better off now than 100 years ago, implicitly upholding free-market ideals that he holds caused the jump in welfare.

After 100 pages, though, I would still like to see more of response to his characters' concerns about the poor's position in this development, that is to say, the poor who don't live in America and haven't gotten 10 times better off in relative terms. The obvious hero of the book -- actually more of a movie script or lecture -- is professor Ruth Lieber, who merely brushes aside those questions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Price of Everything.

message 1: by Yuliya (new)

Yuliya really? so should I read it? cause i just read freakonomics and I don' feel particularly enlightened about economics...just about the general crappy nature of human beings.

Linda Yuliya wrote: "really? so should I read it? cause i just read freakonomics and I don' feel particularly enlightened about economics...just about the general crappy nature of human beings."

No, read it. Just look past the clunky dialogue. He does have a point to make, and that's one of socialism vs. capitalism, so check it out. It's a reallly really quick read.