Tara's Reviews > Travels With Myself And Another

Travels With Myself And Another by Martha Gellhorn

Aug 04, 2009

liked it
Read in August, 2009

I read this not as an afficionado of travel writing, or indeed travel in general. But I've certainly had my share of 'horror journeys', the subject of this book. Martha Gellhorn wrote one of my favourite novels, 'Liana', and has always interested me as a person. And I must admit to a certain curiosity about her brief marriage to Ernest Hemingway, the 'other' mentioned in the title. However only the first piece concerns him. My favourite parts of the book were 'Into Africa', though a little long at 140 pages, and 'One Look At Mother Russia'. Her wry take on the hippy trail was fun as well. Gellhorn has a strong personality, not always a likeable one, and some of her language and opinions are distinctly un-PC. They should be interpreted in relation to Gellhorn's own generation, and the time of writing. But I liked her honesty though I didn't necessarily agree with her on every issue, several of her observations are very witty and perceptive.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Travels With Myself And Another.