Eli's Reviews > Holy Bible

351989
Oct 14, 09

bookshelves: religion-myth
Read in October, 2009

The 'Good Book' ranges widely in readability, from genuinely interesting stories and historical myth to dry genealogies and ancient blueprints. Some of the authors are fond of sticking to a stereotyped format, so that you end up reading the same "headers" and "footers" again and again; not very fun.

My rating of three stars is generous, buoyed by the (cherry-picked) genuine wisdom of several books and the tangential insights it gave me in learning about Christian scripture.

While the book does have its own merits, sadly history has made it a force for evil in this world, as it's even now often used to justify hatred, violence, divisiveness, child abuse, mutilation, policies that allow the spread of AIDS, pseudoscience, rejection of good science, exaltation of ignorance, etc.

By no means am I trying to pigeonhole all believers this way, but I believe those multitudes of faithful who ARE intelligent or good are so in spite of religion. I very much doubt any of the supernatural events of the Bible actually happened.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Holy Bible.