Kelly's Reviews > Children With Starving Brains: A Medical Treatment Guide for Autism Spectrum Disorder

Children With Starving Brains by Jaquelyn McCandless

Sep 25, 07

bookshelves: autism
Read in September, 2007

I have the THIRD edition. I am on chapter one, "Causation Models." Yay.

Okay, finished. This book should be required reading for parents of children with autism. The autism community itself it so divided about treatments and causes -- I've always stayed away from the biomedical aspect because it seems all you get are parents screeching "MERCURY! HEAVY METAL CHELATION! No -- it's the WHEAT AND DAIRY!" (It's like the shipper wars in fandom.)

This book laid out all the possible biomedical causes and treatments in a very even handed manner. To the point that I am seriously considering taking Andy to a doctor that deals with holistic health and alternative therapies.

ETA: Holy Hannah! I'm updating this review. I thought McCandless's book was a good overview of the possible medical reasons for autism and the various methods people use to minimize these reasons. I'm kind of middle of the road -- we are doing all we can behaviorally for Andy to help him communicate and live in the world. On the other hand, if extra B12 will improve his concentration? I'm all over it. I'll never be one for heavy metal chelation or hyperaric chambers. Why am I writing this? Because there is a whole subset of the autism community that thinks McCandless is a QUACK. Not only that, but parents ho seek improvement for their autistic children are abusive. We should be embracing "neurodiversity!" I've had people ask my why I am not involved in the online autism community, and all this crap is why.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Children With Starving Brains.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shelley (new)

Shelley It's crazy how the shipper war phenomenon is universal online. My brother has a really rare genetic disorder, and my mom can get super frustrated with all the infighting on the RTS list. She was describing one such fight to me one day, and it exactly mirrored a fight that had just broken out in pop fandom over JC's new haircut, right down to the factions (I like it! I hate it! It's not your hair/child, so you can't have an opinion! Why can't we all get along?).

Anyway, on topic. *g* I work with several kids who have autism, and I think I might check this out.

Kelly Maybe it is an online phenomenon. My younger brother has Down Syndrome and my mom said she never had to deal with all the infighting prevalent with the autism community. Or maybe it was just because he was born in the 70s and we were all happy dolts back then?

Even skimming this book provides a lot of good information -- many children with autism tend to have problems with allergies and food sensitivities. This book explains how these other things work with autism and then lays out the various approaches people use to combat them. Also -- very readable. Not a lot of indecipherable medical jargon.

Toni Coleman Well I realize this review is old. But I wanted to let you know, there are other online communities you can find that won't think you are nuts, no matter how deep you want to do bio-med. There are lists on Yahoo for you/us.