Thomas's Reviews > Fright

Fright by Cornell Woolrich

Jun 26, 10

bookshelves: hard-case-crime, all-time-favorites, crime, essential-reading, fiction, novels, noir, read-in-2010, roman-noir, cornell-woolrich
Read from June 25 to 26, 2010

This one seems to have gotten crappy reviews from other readers, but I thought it was brilliant. This is the first Cornell Woolrich I've read unless you count the Rear Window screenplay, and I thought it was really disturbing, sort of the written equivalent of Hitchcock. I felt very tense throughout and actually gave myself a cramp in my back because I was sitting so awkwardly in the chair, freaking out as I read it. That absolutely never happens; most books I read at emotional arms-length. This I was totally engaged by and it actually scared me.

I can only assume the bad reviews come from the weirdly gothic esthetic of the language, which makes it very different than the typical Hard Case Crime books and a mite difficult to identify with the narrator, in maybe the same way Lovecraft's narrators can be alienating to the reader. I found that brilliant, though, the ending completely caught me off guard.

Loved it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fright.