Tim Niland's Reviews > The Man With The Getaway Face

The Man With The Getaway Face by Richard Stark

251908
Aug 03, 09

bookshelves: 2009-reads

After master criminal Parker runs afoul with the New York mob he decamps to Nebraska to have a crooked surgeon give him a new face. He then heads for New Jersey where he plans for an armored car heist. Complications arise as the surgeon is murdered and Parker is implicated as a suspect and one of the crooks planning the heist has plans for the loot that do not involve Parker. The thing I enjoyed most about this book is that all of the action for the armored car heist takes place in the are where I currently live, with Parker driving the roads and visiting the towns I see every day. Stark's (aka Donald Westlake) noir writing style is pared to the bone and a joy to read. Parker is the ultimate tough-guy with brains and an iron will. Things drift strangely toward the end of of the book as perspective shifts to another character for a while, but it doesn't damage the narrative. The Parker series is a joy to read and these re-releases from Chicago University press are quite nice with stylish covers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Man With The Getaway Face.