Jocelyn No's Reviews > Written on Your Skin

Written on Your Skin by Meredith Duran

Aug 03, 09

bookshelves: romance, regency-era, victorian-era
Read in July, 2009

I'm bummed that this is the last of Duran's back-to-back releases because I'm becoming such a fan of hers.

This is another fantastic, geographically sweeping, beautifully rendered romance novel with characters you could like and support without finding them too sacherine. The theme here is both of the characters are more than they seem. The heroine is more than a dumb blonde, though she's happy to play one. The hero is more than a vapid nobleman, though he wishes he could be one.

Dispite being very happy with this novel, I wish more had been made of the hero's drug use (it was emphasised more in "Bound by your Touch") and the heroine's sluttyness. I think the author, or maybe the editor, was holding back a little bit, and more skeevyness on the part of the main characters would have made for a better book overall. I felt that the plot overlap between BBYT and WOYS could have been played up more, and made given more depth to this novel. As it is, I think that "Bound by your Touch" is my favorite of the Duran books, followed by the Duke one, with this one coming in third.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Written on Your Skin.