Chelsey's Reviews > Pledged: The Secret Life of Sororities

Pledged by Alexandra Robbins

Aug 03, 09

bookshelves: non-fiction, read-2007, reviewed
Read in January, 2007

I picked this book up the other day, buying a copy for a friend for Christmas and then buying one for myself, just to read it.

It focuses mainly on West Coast sororities, at big schools which I don’t doubt are party schools in the first place. The book follows four girls, three in the same sorority and one in another, through a year of school. Throughout the narrative, the author cites different accounts and studies also having to do with sorority life. It seems to be a well-researched and in-depth description of sorority life.

Except… not much of it rang a bell with me. I’m a sorority girl, yes. I party more than some college students, maybe. I have chapter once a week, ritual, recruitment. There’s girl drama, of course, but… we don’t haze. We have eight girls tops in the house, not a hundred. We dn’t turn people down because they’re not tall and blue-eyed, or if they’re disabled. We have girls of many nationalities, we have girls that don’t drink.

Even the one sorority on campus that probably most closely resembles the ones in the book has girls that I adore; that work hard in school and aren’t necessarily just party girls. And, really, the service, co-ed, fraternity that I pledged this year had more work for only pledges to do, and more that could be seen as “hazing” than my sorority did.

So while I am sure that the book is a good investigation into many sororities, I did not find that it is a good generalization of all Greek life. So, don’t judge us all by Legally Blonde, or this book either.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pledged.