Rhys's Reviews > Among the Barons

Among the Barons by Margaret Peterson Haddix

U 50x66
Aug 28, 09

bookshelves: summer-reading-2009

The book Among The Baron is about Lee and Smites Grant. Smites is Lee's brother but because Luke took Lees name they aren't really related. Luke has been going to Hendricks School For Boys for 6 months and for the first time he meets Smites. Smites was sent to Luke's school because he has been saying that his brother died (which he did) but no one believed him. Smites mom and dad thought that if he saw Lee that he might stop saying that Lee was dead. But when Luke saw Smites, Smites acted like Lee wasn't there. But over time Smites got used to Luke Even though he knew he wasn't his brother. One day Smites asked Luke if he could be his brother. Luke didn't know what he meant till the end of the book. Smites had a bodyguard that followed his every move. So one day Smites wanted to get Oscar fired so he started a fire in his room and blamed it on Oscar. But the principal Hendrickson didn't believe Smites lie and sent him and Luke back to the Grants mansion. Smites started helping Luke by telling him what to do and who someone was and telling something Lee would know but Luke wouldn't. One night Smites dad woke Luke up and took him in to a secret room. Were he learned that the Smites mom and dad wanted to fake Lee's death. They wanted to do this because then they didn't have to hide Lee's death. But on the day he was so pose to fake his death Smites parents were crushed by one of there chandeliers. Smites was devastated that he lost his mom dad and brother. Oscar gives Luke a key, Luke takes Smites to the room were he found out he was so posed to die. And they discus were Smites would live. Luke took smites to his house and then told him that he had a new family now and that he had to leave.

I am doing a Text-to-Text and the connection I have is in the book Demonata no.1 were Grubbs was adopted by his uncle. Just like Smites was adopted by Luke's family. Also both of there brother's, moms and dads have all died.

I recommend this book to people that like mystery and adventure also rate this book with 4 stars because it was very interesting and kept me on the edge of my seat.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Among the Barons.