K.'s Reviews > Secrets of a Summer Night

2592043
Dec 15, 10

bookshelves: author-kleypas-lisa, dead-tree-books-i-still-own, audiobooks
Read in May, 2007, read count: 2

Okay, I know I should put this re-rating on the audiobook (as my initial rating of 3* is for the paperback ... but I'm upgrading my original rating to 4* instead. Rosalyn Landor gave me a whole new vibe on the heroine which deserves an upgrade. She brought her to life in a way that I could be an "observer" and not judge her so harshly! This audiobook is definitely a keeper (and ironically ... I still have the paperback as I just couldn't let go of this wonderful series regardless of how much I didn't like Annabelle in my first reading. :)
K.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secrets of a Summer Night.

12/10/2010
10.0% "I've read this entire series, but I LOVE LK, so since it's come out on Audio with Roslyn Landor as the reader ... THANK YOU! I'm SO happy to revisit it! :)
K."
12/12/2010
45.0% "This is a "listen" of a book I've already read. I'm finding I like the audiobook on this one more than the book. The way the narrator is portraying the heroine gives her a better "light" for me. Overall, LOVING this LK series again! :)
K." 4 comments
12/14/2010
100.0% "Wow!! I ended LOVING this audiobook. Much more than "reading" it. Although my original issues with Annabelle were the same ... I was much more emphathetic in understanding her "learning curve" in the audiobook. Good job Rosalyn Landor! :)
K."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I find that a great reading can really add to a book. NR Northern Lights was very so so but the audio was great! And I hate to say it but reading Outlander was ok but listening to it? Wow! Davina Porter is wonderful! But sadly the reverse is true also. A bad reading can ruin a good book. I did NOT like the reader in Hoyt's new book. I need to get a hard copy of it to see if it is any good.

message 2: by K. (last edited Dec 15, 2010 10:25AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

K. Nicki wrote: "I find that a great reading can really add to a book. NR Northern Lights was very so so but the audio was great! And I hate to say it but reading Outlander was ok but listening to it? Wow! Davin..."

You are so right on Nicki! LK's "Smooth Talking Stranger" comes to mind as to a book that I think was probably "ruined" by the reader for me. It got such high ratings, but I barely was able to "endure" listening to the whole thing because the reader sounded like she had kind of a lisp. Consequently, every one of her characters did as well! YIKES! Plus she was a "sloooowwww talker"!! It was so completely distracting that I'm pretty sure it influenced my book rating. I've always felt I needed to get that one and "read" it to change my opinion perhaps.

I'm really disappointed to hear your thoughts on Hoyt's new book ("Wicked Intentions") because I already bought that one. RATS! :(
K.

♡Karlyn P♡ Nice review K! I just got this one on audio too. I read it years ago and enjoyed it the first time. As for Hoyt's book WI, I tried to both read AND listen to it but it ended up being a DNF for me. I really tried, but I just didn't care about the characters. But many did like it so I encourage you to at least start it. The best audio I've listened to recently was The Spymasters Lady by Joanna Bourne. WOW, the reader was amazing.

message 4: by K. (last edited Dec 15, 2010 12:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

K. KarLynP wrote: "Nice review K! I just got this one on audio too. I read it years ago and enjoyed it the first time. As for Hoyt's book WI, I tried to both read AND listen to it but it ended up being a DNF for me..."

Well, I'll give it a shot KarLyn (seeing as I can't "return" it! LOL!). Did you mean both the audio AND the book were DNFs? Yikes!

You've mentioned the Spymaster's Lady a couple of times now, so I'm pretty sure I'm getting that one in audio. However, I have it on my Kindle already. Should I read it first before I listen to it (did you read it)? I've been holding off because I tend to ditch reading a book I've listened to already (but not vice-versa).

Did we already talk about NR's "Happy Ever After" on audio? Even if the book wasn't great for many ... that reader is one of the best I've heard in a LONG time. I also really appreciated the talents of the reader in Eloisa James' "A Kiss at Midnight." Finding awesome narrators for me is as much a "find" as finding a new favorite author! I know you know what I mean KarLyn! :)

Just started "It Happened One Autumn," in audio, and unlike some readers, it's my favorite book in this series. I LOVED Lillian and Marcus! *sigh*
K.

♡Karlyn P♡ As for WI, yes I first tried reading the book (got page 125ish). Later got the audio and started from the beginning. I got about halfway and quit. It just wasn't holding my attention in either format.

I didn't read SML but I have seen comments that the audio was better than the book. Of course, many also loved the book too.

I didn't get into NR latest series, so haven't read/listened to HEA. It has a lot of fans though!

I did listen to Kiss at Midnight - sooo good!!

I'm listening to JR Wards BDB series now. I've already read the books a while ago. I think the reader is awesome too.

Later!!

KarLyn

message 6: by K. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K. KarLynP wrote: "As for WI, yes I first tried reading the book (got page 125ish). Later got the audio and started from the beginning. I got about halfway and quit. It just wasn't holding my attention in either for..."

I listened to the whole NR series, but I did the "typical K thing" and listened to the best one (published at that point) first ("Bed of Roses") because it got great book reviews and "Vision in White" (book 1) had gotten "eh" reviews. You might remember I'm not manic about "reading in order," and my reading "theory" is an introduction to the characters by way of the best of series, can "prop up" the not so great books because you know the characters already. I went back and then listened to VIW, and it was still not a great book, but I was interested in Mak's story at least. Still is my least favorite of the group. I LOVED HEA. Thought it was an exemplary couple and a fine ending to the series. I'll re-listen to this one, especially since Angela Dawe read 3 of the 4 books.

I've been considering listening to the BDB (I've read all but the last two of the series to date). KarenH highly recommends it as well. Do they have all the books in the series on audio now? If I recall they were missing a couple in the middle previously.

As for this series, I can't help mentioning I'm loving revisiting it and it's like I didn't REALLY have to leave the Hathaways' world - LOL! I think I'm as obsessed with them as I was with "La Figlia" recently - it's an addiction and I just can't let go! ;)
K.

♡Karlyn P♡ LOL! Maybe if I listened NR's series out of order I might have stuck with it, but I only listened to VIW and thought it was just bleh.

All of the BDB series is on audio. I do recommend the reader! Very good. I'm going to slowly make my way through them, but for now I'm about to do a full re-listen of Karen Moning's Fever series. (I've relistened to them a few times already!) The fifth and final book comes out in January, so I want all the books fresh in my mind when I read/listen to it.

I really do want to get all the Hathaway books on audio too. I loved that series so much. Yummy romance candy at it's best.

Beanbag Love Great review, K!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

That makes me want to listen to the new NR series. I have the first 3 in audio in my TBL pile. just haven;t got there yet. maybe I'll move them up. Right now I'm having an Amanda Quick marathon. All the single word titles that I have. Down to Reckless. It's been a long time since I have read them and I've been collecting the audio. Just missing Desire and the "M" haven't been rereleased yet.

message 10: by K. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K. Beanbag wrote: "Great review, K!"

Hey thanks Beanbag! I realize it not much of a "review." I guess it's more of a commentary for those who've already read the book or those who are contemplating the audiobook version. Good to "see" you! :)

message 11: by K. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K. Nicki wrote: "That makes me want to listen to the new NR series. I have the first 3 in audio in my TBL pile. just haven;t got there yet. maybe I'll move them up. Right now I'm having an Amanda Quick marathon..."

Nicki: Do they have AQ's "Ravished" in audio? Do her books have good readers? I've only read the one book by her (Ravished), but I loved it. Then I got the impression she was more of a "suspense" writer than a romance writer. You know how I am about that balance - LOL! What do you recommend in audio of her's that really romantic (like Ravished)?

As for NR's Bride series ... be prepared to just listen to VIW as a "background" book if you must listen to them in order. Don't let it color your view as to the whole series. One other impression for me that other romance readers may want to consider is the whole series is truly an "ensemble" work. It has more focus on the "group" than some romance readers will want to tolerate. Also LOTS of focus on the business, Vows. For me personally, I loved those aspects.
K.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Ann Flosnik is the reader for all the newest releases of the AQ books. You either love or hate Flosnik. I really like her. there are one or two of the males that she gets a bit ponderous on but mostly she does a good job. I had some VERY OLD versions with other readers that were terrible. I think all of her books are on audio except for the "M" titles: Mystique, Mistress and Mischief.

AQ does tend to follow a formula: "bluestocking" h and dark, alpha H with a bad rep. Again love/hate. I love them. AQ is a favorite of mine. Ravished is one of her best. I just finished listening to it a couple of days ago. If you liked the romance/suspense mix of it you will probably like the others. Deception is probably my least favorite.

Don't know if you are aware of it but Amanda Quick, Jayne Ann Krentz and Jayne Castle (plus a couple of others) are all the same person depending on historical, contemp, or future. Her Arcane series is interesting and goes across all three genres with paranormal overtones (physic abilities). Those audios are very good.